Sunday, May 02, 2010

Pepa's Strawberries



Early this summer Millie enjoyed her first bowl of homegrown "Pepa" strawberries (in her Halloween peacock costume, of course.) My Pepa (Dad's dad) works tireless hours every year on his beautiful garden and graciously shares his bounty with his loved ones. Pepa's tomatoes and strawberries are up there on my favorite foods on the planet, followed closely by his cucumbers. For my loved ones who have experienced them, here's an experiment... I want you to think of a Mema Thelma Sunday dinner in the summer (whatever main dish comes to mind will work) complete with a bowl of Pepa's cucumbers floating in the perfect ratio of vinegar to water with a little salt sprinkled on top, a salt and pepper topped slice of vine-ripened tomato next to whatever that is on your plate covered with gravy, and a post dinner dessert of a bowl of mushed up strawberries perfectly hand squished by Mema's tiny hands. Your berries are probably made complete by crushed butter crackers and a dollop of Cool Whip, but mine sit alone making my jowls ache in happiness with every tart/sweet bite. Ok. Is your mouth watering? Mine sure is. Love to Mema & Pepa, and many thanks for always sharing your garden with us!

1 comment:

Kelly Hays said...

I have to say as much as I LOVE all of Pepas summer treats ...the sweet potatoes that he grew in his winter garden have been yummy to my prego tummy this fall. I have eaten more than my share for sure. I have loved sharing these wonderful potatoes with friends and bragging about how my grandpa not only planted the potatoes by dug them up by hand. I know that it was alot for work just to give all the fruits of his labor away. How blessed we are to have such great grandparents. I love them very much and am grateful for passing on a love for gardening. Great blog Brooke you are awesome!!! Kelly