Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Baby by Sunrise...

Early in the morning of October 28th (4:45 am to be exact), Bryan and I arrived at Willow Creek Women's Hospital. When we would leave the next day, our lives would be totally different. When I went to the triage for a progress check amid those incredibly painful contractions that I mentioned in the previous post, the same sweet nurse (Holly) was there to greet us. The first thing I said to her after saying hello was, "If I get admitted today, how long before I can have an epidural?" She laughed. When she checked me I was progressed to 5-6 centimeters. For those who don't know labor talk, that means I was over halfway ready to deliver. So I had done half of the tough work at home. Holly smiled and complimented my toughness for staying at home so long. I met Dr. Duke (one of Leslie's favorites) and he told me that he thought we'd have a "baby by sun-up." I think he was quite sleepy after a long shift and had his times mixed up because it would be (*spoiler alert*) 6:09 PM before Amillia joined the bright world. Bre arrived first and helped Bryan do some major back massage during the contractions. Have I mentioned how great of a coach Bryan was? Mom arrived soon after and by 6:30 I was in a room with an epidural on the way. Leslie helped me get the epidural faster because she volunteered to help do it. I sure owe her! I was going through a contraction when the anesthesiologist did it- that was really fun! But once that epidural hit... I was a happy girl...

Here's a post-epidural pic or two. This one is Bryan and I reenacting a contraction with him coaching me through it. I'll never forget his forceful commands of "Look at me! You can do this!" Sometimes a bossy girl needs to be bossed around a little to not give up!

"I don't know what to do with my hands!"


Mema and Nini playing the "waiting game." I was so happy that I packed that blanket because I was very shivery.




2 comments:

Paula said...

Was the nurse "Holly" a pretty, brown headed 30 something year old? If so, I LOVE her...

Glad you are posting your labor story!

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh! Let the tears flow. That picture at the top is precious. Did you cry while writing all of this? Because I've heard it from your mouth, but reading makes me very emotional. I can't wait to experience it all. I'm SO excited for play dates!