Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Thus our adventure begins...

After 21 hours (from what I call the beginning of my labor), I started feeling the urges to push and finally was fully dilated. I'll never forget the hour before she arrived. The people there with me were- Debbie the nurse, Bryan (Coach of the Year), my mom and sister (who I couldn't look at or I would cry), my aunt Nicole, Leslie (my awesome RN sis-in-law), and later Dr. Hix. They brought in the mirror so I could watch the process. Bryan will tell you that he was so happy he watched her being born. He says it was "the coolest thing he's ever seen." I pushed for about 40 minutes with everyone cheering on. It really was a defining moment of my life. I never felt so important as those moments. I never have wanted to work so hard in my life. I never wanted something SO bad! I was doing lots of shaking uncontrollably and I was so incredibly thirsty, but all I wanted to do was keep pushing. Especially once I saw her little head crowning. We all couldn't believe it when Dr. Hix said that the saw dark hair. We just knew that she wouldn't have any hair at all or be very blond like we were. (Her hair is starting to turn blond now at 6 weeks, by the way.) When her head finally came out, the waterworks started. I just could not believe that she was here. I don't really remember pushing the rest of her out, but I just remember weeping for joy at the sight of my little girl. She gurgled and screamed and choked a little bit on the fluid, but quickly quieted when the nurse put her on my chest. We introduced ourselves and she just stared. :-) I loved that she recognized us right away. Bryan was able to talk to her more when they were doing her measurements and such. One thing I won't forget about our miracle girl is that her umbilical cord was tied in a knot. So at some point in her growth she swam a little circle and tied it up. That could have been fatal, but God had and still has his hand on her. He was there. I know He was. My mom asked Him to be. And thus our adventure begins...

Lots of pics from Amillia Elizabeth's birthday
8 lbs. 1 oz.; 19 3/4 inches long; born 6:09 PM October 28th, 2008

No comments: