Tuesday, December 09, 2008

"Thank you, Jesus, for epidurals."
So, my story left off with my receiving of the (and I quote Baby Mama) "dangerous toxins for my own selfish benefit." The next few hours were spent unsuccessfully trying to catch up on sleep, enjoying the company of my family, laughing, and waiting. Waiting...waiting...waiting... I stayed about the same progression throughout the day. I finally progressed to 9 1/2 centimeters, but the cervix would just not open all the way up. The doctor then suggested that I take some Pitocin to help the process. Dr. Partridge would have delivered if Amillia started coming while she was still working in her office upstairs, but luckily I got her husband Dr. Robert Hix. Even though medical induction methods were against my birth plan, the process was taking long enough. I was ready to see that she was here and, more importantly, healthy. Another thing that made us nervous was the way that she was turned. She was head down, but turned with her face to the side which is not ideal or the safest way for the baby to be delivered. My nurse (Debbie) had me try some different positions of lying to help promote her to turn. They gave me more doses of epidural to alleviate the intense pains I was starting to feel since Amillia's position was blocking some of the medicine. I was really starting to feel those contractions again at one point on my right side. I started getting nervous that I was about to deliver like Eve! (I'm such a wimp!) I remember when the epidural did kick in and I was on my hands and knees on the bed (covered, of course) and I was telling my favorite "pirate" Halloween joke which is not all that appropriate to be posting on my blog. (I'll share privately if anyone would like...) Bryan tried to tell the "brown chicken, brown cow" joke, but failed miserably. We were all so tired and ready for our girl. After the position changes, Debbie said she had good and bad news. Good news- Amillia had turned and my painful, hard work was successful. Bad news- she turned the wrong way- completely face up...

More delivery day memories...
This is the sleepy/silly state:

My Aunt Nicole who was a super coach



No comments: