
One of the things I'd like to do now that I'm a stay-at-home mom is better myself by reading more. I just finished reading this novel by Khaled Hosseini who also wrote The Kite Runner. It was thought provoking and (dare I say for drama sake) life changing. It follows the last 30 years of war and strife in Afghanistan through the eyes of two women one young and one older who both end up being married to an abusive and awful man. I learned that living in this country is every bit of a privilege. I've never been one to be overly patriotic, but reading this book made me take a good, hard look at how blessed we are as a nation and how I personally am blessed. It also made me think about how important it is to help bring peace and other aid to other countries. The Afghan people have endured so much through the last three decades of wars and oppression of multiple sorts. I hate that our view of this country is so negative because of the fear the Taliban has brought. I'm also very thankful to be a Christian and to follow a God who is a peaceful god. If you study the teachings of Jesus, you will know that we are to love our enemies and tolerate all people. This is really important to me but also difficult. And lastly, I am incredibly blessed to have a husband who loves me for me (the good, the bad, and the ugly), and who also loves his daughter so much. Bryan not only provides for our family, but he is every bit a part of our whole. Without him, I would be lost. Please remember to pray for the people of this world who are without the freedoms that we take advantage of every day.

4 comments:
Very true Brooke. Im glad you are taking my advice and reading some "non-baby" stuff. Its fun, isnt it? I just finished Shopaholic and Baby-if you want a LIGHT, funny read after your serious one...this is a great book. I laugh out loud at all the Shopaholic books. Ill have to read your book sometime.
I know this is a little dorky, but I'm thinking about getting a library card. The closest library to my house is about a 20 minute drive though. Not so convenient. The Shopaholic book will be my next read. Or I was thinking about the Twilight series...
Brooke - I loved A thousand splendid suns. It does make you think and appreciate our lives as women in the US! I will have to remember to let you know what my book club is reading and will send you a link to my "good reads" webpage. It is like facebook for booklovers. (perfect for dorks like you and me :)
This is a really good book, I read it when I was pregnant. I really got sucked into this book and read it so fast....it does make you think.
Post a Comment